Poet's Classic Games and Mods Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Poet's Classic Games and Mods Forum

A place to talk about classic PC games, and to discuss and announce add-ons, mods and TCs made for them.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Agent87

Agent87

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels? Empty
PostSubject: Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels?   Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 12:17 am

I was wondering how often you use ambush (deaf guard) tiles. When I design levels, I put them only on the Death Incarnate difficulty level unless I feel like being particularly nasty to the player in that level. Twisted Evil

When do you use them? I just thought I'd generate some discussion here...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels?   Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 5:12 am

I use ambush tiles quite frequently, both to surprise the player and to avoid having all enemies in a room leave it once a door is opened and a shot is fired.

I also use ambush tiles to prevent enemies from moving to certain places. For instance, let's say I have a room with a locked door. Along one wall I can see and shoot at enemies in this room past columns, and they can shoot at me. But I don't want them to come out of the locked door. What I do is to make a small corridor behind the door leading into the room and position a deaf guard in this corridor facing the door. Now the enemies in the room can't leave it because they can't pass the deaf guard. I make sure the player won't be able to see or shoot at the deaf guard past the columns. Only remember not to put the ambush tile right next to the door, it must be a floor tile between.

Another nice trick is to put enemies behind tables and plants etc. in a room to avoid having them leave the room even after they are alarmed.
Back to top Go down
http://pcgmf.bestofforum.net
Agent87

Agent87

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels?   Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Interesting, Poet. Thanks for the tips!

Speaking of enemy movement, I'm using a source modification to the AI (based on a tutorial by someone named Matthew) in which if the enemies are losing, they retreat and hide behind walls, waiting for the player to come looking for them, then they shoot.

The tutorial also shows how to implement an "enemy blocking" object (though I haven't tried it yet) so that where it is placed, enemies cannot move over it, but the player can.

Here's the link to Matthew's tutorial for those who are interested:

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=4671
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels?   Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 10:31 am

That engine sure sounds interesting. It seems to give the level designer lots of possibilities.
Back to top Go down
http://pcgmf.bestofforum.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels?   Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you use ambush tiles very much when designing levels?
Page 1 of 1